Thursday, May 17, 2012

Why it's ok to break up. (Don't worry, we didn't)

The other night I had a dream. In it, I was dating a guy that I had dated when I was 18. I sat there thinking, "what the heck? why are we back together? That is the last thing in this world that I would want!" When I woke up, I looked over at my husband fast asleep and thought, "Oh thank goodness!"

And that sparked yet another reminder of how grateful I am for all of the breakups I've had with different boys over the years. That boy in the dream? Totally played me. Sadly, he was one that I was really upset about after we broke up. There are other boys that I was more upset about, others that it really didn't bother me, and a few where I mostly just thought, "oh boy, what was I ever thinking?" Some were very quickly forgotten and others took quite a long time to really get over.

Now I'm not saying that I am a superstar dater, but I have definitely had my fair share of dating experience. That doesn't mean I'm cool, it just means I have a lot of experience with things not working out. Some things I've learned through relationships are:
1) I'd rather be with someone that pays attention to me than someone who works so much they could go days without remembering to call me.
2) Any boy that tries to kiss your roommate/friend while still trying to date you is never worth giving a second chance. Trust me, it is never worth it.
3) Sometimes, it really is your own fault that things aren't working out. Either grow up where you need to, or do both of you a favor and end the relationship. There's no sense in dragging things out.
4) Spend time together doing other things besides kissing and cuddling. That will generally ruin the relationship. There's probably a ton of great reasons for you to be together, but if it's just focused on the kissin' then you'll miss out on all of the really great stuff. And it's usually too hard to go backwards in the relationship.
5)Make sure you have fun together. There's good guys, and then there's good guys that you have a hilarious time together. I vote for the second type:)


 There are a lot more lessons I have learned than these five. I'm betting that God had me learn all my lessons through dating because He's going to send me a ton of boy-crazed daughters. Yikes.Whether or not the breakup was my doing or theirs, I am grateful that those relationships ended. I don't remember who said it, but I love the quote, "The wrong one is the right one to lead you to the best one." Mostly, I'm grateful because I get to wake up next to this guy every day and think, 
"Oh thank goodness!"













No comments:

Post a Comment