Sunday, October 5, 2014

Family history fashion finds

I've mentioned before that I grew up being fascinated by the '40's because of my grandma's photo albums. As I've spent time going through them again, my 1940's romanticism is in full force! If I had a time machine, visiting my young adult grandma in New York would be my first stop.

One of the things I love about the pictures is what they're wearing and how great their hair is. Some things are timeless and are still a presence in modern styles and some...well, they might take awhile for a comeback. My grandma told me that they were always pretty poor so her mother sewed all of their clothes. I'm so curious how long she did that and if any of the clothes in these albums were sewn by her.


Picture taken at my great-Uncle Matt's wedding to Margaret. My mom's dad Papa Norm is on the right. Pretty sure the bridesmaid is my grandma's sister Margaret and her husband Walter is the far left. Look at that those dresses though! That wedding dress is gorgeous!

 How cute is my grandma?? Classic A-line skirt and check out the saddle shoes!

Another of my grandma. I would wear that today!

My grandma is 2nd from the right. Hers is my favorite dress in this picture. 

My grandma's friend Bobbie Heritage. This feels like she's on the set of "White Christmas."

My grandma as a bridesmaid in her friend's wedding. She said the ruffled part was baby blue. So cute!

This was taken during one of the summers where New York Bell sent a bunch of employees to Monticello, a small city in New York to work and had them live in an even smaller town called South Fallsburg. All of the pictures are either in work clothes or bathing suits.

Grandma rockin' a turban in South Fallsburg. There were a lot of these in pictures. Those shorts are pretty bomb too.

Grandma in the middle.I love the patterns and silhouettes of the '40s. Also, my grandma is the tallest of her friends--story of my life. Taken in South Fallsburg.

This picture wasn't labeled, but look at those shoes! Daang! Even in the country, this woman meant business!

As far as the men in the pictures at this time, they're basically all wearing military uniforms. I looove talking to grandma about all her boyfriends in the military. I somewhat imagine her life as one of the dance scenes from that "Pearl Harbor" movie with Ben Affleck. I like to tease her about being a player and I'm pretty sure she loves it, but those stories are  for another post :) Going through those pictures is really inspiring, though.  Here are some of these men in uniform!

Apparently this guy Carl had the hots for my grandma.

 This is David Blenco, he wanted to marry grandma.
 Grandma's sister Dot, John Yesinksi, and grandma.
 Dot, her first husband Kenneth Atherton, Grandma. Ken died as a paratrooper during the invasion of Sicily. Grandma says he was the sweetest boy.
 This is grandma with David Blenco and his sister Joyce, one of grandma's good friends. Saddle shoes and socks still holding strong. 
 Grandma's friend Karl Kinnon, who later died of Malaria.
 Kenneth Atherton with his mother on the left and my great-grandma Grace on the right.
 My grandpa, Norman Light. This is a great picture, what a stud!
Pvt. Samuel Bahr, Papa Norm's cousin. Taken November 1943 at 19 years old.
This wasn't labeled and grandma didn't know what it was. Maybe one of Papa Norm's pictures. It kind of looks like it's overseas in the action. If this is from the Pacific where my Norman served, I totally get why they aren't wearing their pants. Way too hot!
This also wasn't labeled and I think it's one of Norm's relatives. I did a quick google search and it looks like a WW1 uniform. Pretty sure this picture is begging to be found out who it is.


 Okay, so this one is actually the 1920's and it's Papa Norm. How cute though! His hair is adorable! It took me a little bit to notice the gun and I bet it's real.

Ok, here's one more from the 20's of grandpa. Seriously, so cute. Also, pretty sure all three of my little brothers had that haircut during the early 90's.

 I have loved looking through their clothes and seeing how they changed through the years. Especially seeing how pretty my grandma kept getting and how her confidence grew! Hopefully my kids and grandkids will have as much fun looking at the styles as I do!

My journal prompt for the week:
"Describe some of your favorite pieces of clothing you've worn. Include a picture if possible. Why did you love this? Where did it come from/how did you get it? What happened to it? Was it in style for the time? 


For my husband, it's his bomber jacket. He loves this thing and has told me repeatedly that our children will get bomber jackets. Agreed.



1 comment:

  1. Good to see you got the photo's I mailed. The 40's are also my favorite decade. Wish I could have lived at least from the 30-50's. Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete