Sunday, October 26, 2014

That one time my grandma told me to stop whining like a baby...

Okay, so she didn't exactly say that. It was more like she unintentionally taught me a lesson that told me that.

My grandma has mentioned several times to me that her family was poor and her mom sewed all her clothes her entire childhood. I know she said she was poor, but I figured it was like how everyone thought our family was poor when we were kids. "We didn't go to California four times this summer like that girl at school--we're poor." Or, "We don't we have a pool like everyone else--we're poor." That kind of thing.

A couple weeks ago I asked my grandma about the Great Depression. She was a child throughout the 30's, so I asked if she remembered if it had much of an impact on her family. She said it didn't change a thing for them and I asked if it didn't affect her area very much. She said it did, but her dad had always spent their extra money anyways so they weren't any poorer than they were before. That's sad for a couple reasons, but the thing that stuck with me was realizing how poor they really must have been. My grandma's family was so poor that the Great Depression had no effect on their finances. Wow. Another thing that stuck out to me was that I'm sure it must have been very hard being so poor, but you'd never have guessed there was anything wrong based on my grandma's attitude. 
Check out the smiles:
 Grandma's confirmation day. So cute! She kind of looks like my little brother in a dress, which cracks me up.

 Grandma and Roberta Heritage
 Grandma and Joyce Blenco
 Grandma
 Grandma and Mildred Heritage
 My grandma rocking a crop top. Work it ladies!
Always having fun!

That's really how my grandma has always been. She loves life! She's never been a complainer, even though things in her life haven't always gone her way. She laughs and smiles all the time, which is probably why so many boys always wanted to date and marry her (True story, she's kind of a player).

This is where the "stop whining like a baby" lesson comes in. As 2014 was beginning, I distinctly remember telling my husband that this year was going to be the greatest--and I really believed it. That lasted for a month. Starting in February, this has become just the worst year. So many disappointments and heartaches. One of those years where you kind of dread something good happening because every time something good comes up, it basically gets stomped out within a few weeks. Honestly, I have not handled it that great.

Grandma grew up through some really hard times and yes, there are some that she doesn't like to talk about at all, but she is one of the most positive women I've known. I'm not one to believe that you should always, always put on a happy face. There are some pretty bad things that happen in life and I think it's healthy to let yourself grieve, be mad, irritated or whatever feeling you need to express. Her happiness reminds me that I don't want to stay stuck in those feelings. Tonight I was talking to her and she was telling me about some of her health issues she's working through and said "I just go to bed and think that it'll be better in the morning." Even though I know she's frustrated, I also know her positive attitude is sincere. 

As cliche and Sunday-school as it sounds, the best way to have that is to remember the good and potential for good in my life. Through all of the painful, frustrating things that have happened this year, there has been a huge blessing--I have come so much closer to my husband. I wish these things hadn't happened to us, but I am very grateful for getting to know him in ways I think only trials can bring. I think that makes 2014 still a win for us. Better yet, there are still 2 months left to go! So whether we have a good day or a frustrating day, my goal is to go to bed and think that it'll be better in the morning.

My grandma, the awesomest lady that ever awesomed!

No comments:

Post a Comment